Saturday, July 16, 2011

'Twas the Night Before Greece


The past two days I have been bombarded with information about Greece. Today in Global Studies I learned about the Classical Greek period and the current Greece Situation, which consists of growing interest rates, the inability to borrow money from the private sector, and the possibility of defaulting on it’s massive amounts of debt. It was interesting learning all the background that had been fueling the Greek riots a month earlier. Supposedly within the next couple of days Greece is voting on a specific plan on how it will meet its debt obligations…hopefully it doesn’t become violent.

Tonight is the logistical and cultural Greece pre-port where they will continue to talk about Greece’s growing problems with the EU. After pre-port Tina and I are going to figure out our plans for the next five days.

 Tomorrow morning the ship ports in Piraeus, Greece at 0800. Hopefully I’ll wake up early enough to catch the ship pulling into port….something I still haven’t gotten around to. After the ship births, I plan on racing off to the Acropolis before the heat of the day sets in. Rumor has it; it’s supposed to be 94 degrees while in Athens. 94 DEGREES. Insane.

I also have a day trip planned to Delphi. Delphi is the ancient Greek site of the Oracle, which was dedicated to the son god Apollo. It is set high in the mountains and was a pilgrimage site for Ancient Greeks looking for answers to every kind of question imaginable.

The 3rd and 4th days I’m going to Mykonos…the famous Greek Island with old windmills and white washed houses. I’m excited to take a break from writing papers and relax on the white sand beaches.

I’m so excited for Greek food!!! I plan on eating my body weight in Gyros and Greek salad. YUM.

After Greece I have two more midterms before arriving in Varna, Bulgaria.


No comments:

Post a Comment