Wednesday, August 17, 2011

School's Out For Summer!


I JUST FINISHED MY LAST FINAL!!!

Let me start from the beginning.

Two nights ago the ship had a finals kick-off with a BBQ on Deck 7!!! The crew slow-cooked BBQ ribs and made mac and cheese, potato salad, a huge fruit display coleslaw, roasted corn, roasted potatoes, and a desert bar! It was so good! It was nice to have something different for a change; ship food has gotten pretty redundant lately.

Yesterday everyone on the ship took the Global Studies Art History final. It was a lot easier than anticipated, which was a nice. Afterwards, the UVA kids and I went out on the deck 7 side deck to hangout and start studying for the next round of finals. At dinner Emily from Canada ordered an ice-cream cake to celebrate the end of Global Studies! She is such a sweetheart.

Today everyone woke up early for a second round of studying before day two of finals. I grabbed a quick breakfast and went up to deck 7 to study. Before long both Emily’s, Tina, Alex, Franny and Karen all joined me. We had a big study party! I only had one final today. I didn’t have a final for Negotiating for Value because my quiz grade was a large portion of my grade and so was my final paper. I was in and out of my last final in an hour. I had 5 short answer questions and an in-class essay: Evaluate the culture of the Renaissance through the art and architecture of the period. It was such a broad question I had no problem writing a couple pages.

Everyone else on the ship should be done with finals by 5pm tonight, just in time for the beginning of the night’s festivities. It’s going to be a busy night: Boston pre-port with info about debarkation, packing and clearing customs, crew talent show, and star gazing. I’m super excited for stargazing tonight after the crew talent show. The ship is going to turn off all the outside lights for an amazing view of the stars. Rumor has it a meteor shower started a couple days ago and we should have a first row seat, if the sky stays clear.

Tomorrow is another busy day. There is a mandatory meeting for everyone in the afternoon and a group discussion about adapting back to “real life.” Apparently there have been multiple people in the past that have a hard time re-adjusting after the program finishes. Tomorrow night is also the Ambassadors Ball! It’s basically prom on a ship, everyone gets all dressed up, enjoys a five-course meal, and a dance afterwards.

Friday the 19th is the last day full day on the ship. All my packing has to be done by 1pm. I have to bring my bags to the Deck 2 aft and then pick it up the next day after getting of the ship before clearing customs. Also, there are going to be cabin checks and who knows what else. It’s basically the same as checking out of a dorm at the end of the year. Friday is also convocation and the ends of the year slideshow.

The past 63 days have flown by; I can’t even imagine how fast the next three days are going to pass my by. Before I know it, I’ll be pulling into the Boston harbor and flying back to Minnesota.


No comments:

Post a Comment