Friday, June 24, 2011

Sleep, What's that?



The past couple of days have been outrageously busy. Yesterday I had 3 hours of classes, studying, reading, a seminar, a group meeting and paper, and a study group for Global Studies. There is too much to do and too little time. Of course, everyday I give up another hour of sleep by moving my clock ahead. These 23 hour days are really catching up with me! I had my first view of land yesterday! I woke up to the Arozes islands right outside my porthole. The Arozes Islands are part of Portugal and still pretty far from Portugal and Spain. I also spotted sea life! After hearing myths and legends about people seeing flying fish, dolphins, whales, even sea turtles I finally saw something….DOLPHINS!!!  SO MANY dolphins. Once during Global Studies, again while reading on Deck 7, and during dinner! A very productive day ☺

Today is also going to be very busy. I woke up early to study for another Negotiation Quiz (I have one every other day) and to finish my reading. Then after a VERY long lecture about Spain’s history, I made my way to the Piano lounge where I am currently sitting.  The rest of the day I’ll finish up classes, do the required reading and study for two exams tomorrow (negotiation for value, and Italy in the renaissance).  I also signed up for the Extended Family Program. Every student who signs up has a pseudo family for the voyage. Tonight is my first family dinner! I’ve already met my “ship mom and dad” and they’re extremely nice, a young couple serving as Life Learning Coordinators on the ship. After my dinner, I’m attending a seminar on travel photography and another seminar about independent travel. Then I will have more studying to do for exams and I’ll pass out around 1am, which is actually 2am with the time change. Then I’ll wake up at 730 and do it all again!

I am so excited to get off this ship! Eight days of the same classes is too much to handle!  Unfortunately, the ship has slowed down in the past two days from 21 knots to only 13-15knots. Rumor has it we were set to arrive in Spain a day early because of the great weather, an extra day which we did not have a spot in port. SO now the voyage is painstakingly slow knowing I’m so close, yet so far.

Other exciting news!!!! Tomorrow morning the ship will be passing through the Straight of Gibraltar into the Mediterranean Sea. We are bunkering (taking on fuel) in Gibraltar in the late morning, which means we will be stopped under the rock of Gibraltar, where, according to my Global Studied prof, there are MONKIES!!! I guess they’re so close you can get pictures! Hopefully I’m not in class when this happens, I really want some great pics!

No comments:

Post a Comment